CNA License Reciprocity in California

To ensure a smooth transition as you consider working as a travel CNA in California or moving to California, understanding CNA reciprocity in the state is crucial. This process allows you to transfer your out-of-state CNA license to California seamlessly. In the following, we’ll explain the specific requirements and steps for an out-of-state CNA license transfer to California, enabling you to navigate the license reciprocity process with ease.

Transferring your license to California using reciprocity requires you to already have a CNA license in another state. If you’re looking to register your first CNA certification on the California Registry, read our page about how to get on the California CNA Registry.

CNA license reciprocity in California


Amount: $32
Details: The reciprocity application is free of charge, however, you will need to pay for the fingerprint-based criminal background check.


Yes, obtain your fingerprints either one of the two methods below:

  • Electronic Fingerprints (if you’re already in California)
    • Obtain your fingerprints in California utilizing a Live Scan Agency and submit a copy of the completed Request for Live Scan Service (BCIA 8016). Please also download the Request for Live Scan Service Sample (BCIA 8016 Sample), which will show you how to correctly complete the BCIA 8016 form. The costs involved can amount up to $72, but varies depending on the provider.
  • Fingerprint Cards (if you’re out of state)
    • Applicants residing out of state may complete the fingerprint card (FD-258) and submit two completed cards to the department. Fingerprint cards (FD-258) must be accompanied by a $32.00 check or money order made payable to “The Department of Justice”. Please refer to the DOJ’s Guide for Completing Your FD-258 Card for instructions on how to correctly complete the fingerprint card (FD-258).


Online application: Yes.
Form: Yes. Link to form here.

How to

Fill in the form:

  1. Complete sections I, II, III, V and VI of the form
  2. Obtain your fingerprints
  3. Obtain a copy of your out-of-state CNA certificate
  4. Proof of work showing that you provided nursing or nursing-related services in a facility to residents for compensation under the supervision of a licensed health professional within the last two (2) years. Acceptable forms of proof of work are a copy of a paystub or W2. If you have received your initial out-of-state CNA certificate within the last two (2) years, you do not need to submit proof of work. * Staffing agencies are not an acceptable work setting in order to qualify for equivalency in California. You must submit proof of work from a skilled nursing facility in which you worked. If you work in a facility but are paid through a staffing agency you may submit a letter from the facility stating that you have worked there under the supervision of a licensed health professional.
  5. The Verification of Current Nurse Assistant Certification (CDPH 931). Part I of the CDPH 931 is to be completed by the applicant and Part II is to be completed by the endorsing state agency (the state you are coming from).”

Note: All CNA applicants must undergo a criminal record review. This will automatically be done on submission of fingerprints.

For support, email or call (916) 327-2445.

Employer input required?

Yes, you must complete Part I of the CDPH 931.

Current state input required?

Yes, Part II of CDPH 931 is to be completed by the endorsing state agency (the state you are coming from). If your certificate is verifiable online, it is not required, unless requested by the Department. If the certificate can’t be verified online, your current state needs to send the form to the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) at the following address:

MS 3301
P.O. Box 997416
Sacramento, CA 95899-7416

Methods of filing

Online: No
Email: No
Fax: No (since March 2023)
Mail: Yes, to

Attn: Healthcare Workforce Branch (HWB)
P.O. Box 997416, MS 3301
Sacramento, CA 95899-7416

Information last updated in

June 2024

Related links